There are times when Halloween costume inspiration is low on the ground and hard to find. And then we have years like this when the Costume Gods are simply showering mana down upon us.
- Political costumes are sometimes hard to predict, but this year I feel very safe in saying that both Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump costumes will be flying off the shelf. Look for some pop culture cross-over–Trump as the Joker, Hillary as Hillary Quinn.
- Interest in Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland series has remained strong, perhaps because of its Goth overtones. Expect an uptick in Alice costumes now that the sequel, Through the Looking Glass, has come out.
- Superhero and anti-superhero movies have been big this year. I predict Avengers, Deadpool, and Suicide Squad costumes to be very popular.
- In the kids’ aisle, Zootopia has provided Judy Hop and Nick Wilde costumes. The release of Finding Dory will see an increase in Dory and Nemo costumes.
- The Ghostbusters reboot will see a resurge of interest in Ghostbusters costumes, both old and new.
- Perennial favorites: Day of the Dead and zombie costumes.