Once more into the breach, dear friends, as I, the Amazing Clothesmonaut, look into the future and predict what will be popular, costume-wise, this Halloween.
- Zombies: Bigger than vampires, bigger than anything, indeed deader than anything, zombies will continue to lurch their way to the top this Halloween.
- Politics/Politicians: With the presidential election falling so soon after Halloween, expect to see Obama/Romney masks here, there, and everywhere.
- Fairy Tale Characters: With two Snow White movies out this summer plus the popularity of TV shows like “Once Upon a Time” and “Grimm”, look to see many classic fairy tale character costumes. Snow White is the obvious favorite, but Little Red Riding Hood and all the rest are bound to make an appearance as well.
- Medieval: On a related note, I predict a surge in medieval-themed costumes, kicked off in part by the popularity of the fairy tale based shows mentioned above and in part by the popularity of series like “Game of Thrones” and movies like “Brave”. Expect to see generic Vikings and Renaissance maidens as well as specific character costumes.
- Pop Culture: Superheroes remain strong, spurred on by the new Batman movie as well as “The Avengers”. For new entries into the pop culture arena, look for “The Hunger Games”, “Snow White” (especially “Snow White and the Huntsman”), and “Brave”.
As a final note, expect to see crossovers amongst all these categories e.g. zombie Ned Stark or Romney/Obama as Superman.